About Me

My photo
North Hollywood, California, United States
I am a fun, sometimes boring person. I am an outgoing, shy kind of girl. I'm pretty easy going when I am not being uptight. All in all, I am a walking, talking, contradiction.
Powered by Blogger.

Monday, July 18, 2011

A couple of really great weekends

I know that I’ve been complaining non stop about all the hours I’ve been working and what little play I’ve had…but don’t worry, no negativity in this post! Because I finally got some play time :)

Fourth of July was great because it was on a Monday which means, no work. The funny thing is, I had no idea that I had the day off until Friday and the only reason why I found out was because I over heard a coworker saying to a customer over the phone that we wouldn’t be there on Monday. I TOTALLY would have shown up for work on Monday and found myself pretty alone. I know, Fourth of July is a national holiday so I should’ve known, but until now, I was so used to working in places like retail and restaurants that don’t close on holidays. So I figured without thinking or asking that we would have to work. Lovely surprise when I found out that we didn’t!

The Fourth of July weekend started out with me getting off work early on Saturday and Dave and I meeting up with his brother Pete and his wife Bekah and their cute one year old Dali at Riverton’s “Town Days” festival. We had great parking thanks to Dave’s creative (to others, annoying) idea to park his motorcycle in a position to hold a spot for a car in which we later parked in close to the entrance. I then convinced Dave to go on some rides with me by teasing him for being an old guy, and we both ended up queasy by the end of the night.  We later met up with Dave’s other brother Matt and his wife Julie and their three year old munchkin Izze and all watched fireworks in a great spot just a few feet away from the car. That meant that we got to enjoy the amazing fireworks display and also miss the crazy rush to leave the park. It was a very nice relaxing day spent with wonderful people and lots of flippy, spinny rides.

The actual day of Fourth of July started out with me not going to work. That was a pretty dang good start. Dave and I grabbed some lunch at JCW’s and then went to our friend John’s BBQ. I got the pleasure of watching Dave play corn hole shirtless with the boys in the sweltering heat. I played too and surprise, I sucked. John and Eric entertained us all by dressing up in some true American garb to celebrate “America Day” and show a little leg. I can honestly say that I have never had a dull moment around these guys.




While we waited for the sun to go down, Dave and I went shopping for some shorts since I had none. It’s so sad that I didn’t get to really feel the heat of summer until that day because my life as of right now is lived in a cubicle. So anyway, we went shopping and after driving all over and going in an out of many stores, we successfully found some non-bling (non True Religion dark wash jeans with thick white stitching and rhinestones all over the butt that everyone and their mom wears) cute Mormon-approved shorts that were on sale and put a smile on my face.  After that, we grabbed some delicious quesadillas at Café Rio and met up with Mikkal and Ashley at Thanksgiving Point.

Mikkal is Dave’s longtime friend and Ashley is his cute wife who have recently become one of our favorite couple friends. They are both laid back, hilarious, and always up to doing something fun. We’ve found those qualities hard to find in most married couples but we are glad to say that we have found at lease one of the remaining cool married couples left! Just kidding…sort of.  So we meet up at Thanksgiving Point and try to find a good spot to sit and watch the fireworks. Boys being boys and always wanting to explore and find a better place than being satisfied with just finding an open spot in a largely crowded area, had both Ashley and I chase after them into a near by corn field just budding with corn stalks to find a place closer to where the fireworks were being launched. We ended up being shooed away by a police officer but also was pointed in the direction of a less crowded, much closer spot to sit and watch the show. We ended up so close to the fireworks that they were being launched directly above our heads and we could even see some of the burning embers falling and touching the ground. It was an unforgettable night amongst many of the same exact Fourth of July nights throughout the years. The other thing that made this night memorable was of  course the lovely rain we received. Thanks Utah for making things interesting.



The weekend definitely wasn't long enough but was very successful because I got to really enjoy not having to work and getting the unexpected day off.

Unfortunately, I had gotten a taste of what fun was and I was NOT ready to go back to my normal 6 days, 60 hours a week life. So fortunately, the fun didn’t have to end. In a previous post, I said that I was going to get my first weekend off in six weeks. I was not going to waste the weekend so I made sure to fill it with some fun things to do.

Since I had Friday off at my second job, Dave and I met up with Mikkal and Ashley and drove up to beautiful Timpanogos Canyon and set up camp. We girls got to watch the boys be manly and chop wood and start the fire with flint and steel which was way interesting…but they did it and we are proud.











We also roasted hot dogs and told some scary stories and stayed up late and probably made too much noise for our neighbors but had a really good time. Thanks Mike and Ash for inviting us and pretending to like us weirdos!

To top off a great weekend, Saturday afternoon we drove back to Provo and met up with the other cool married couple friends of ours, Paul and Katherine and headed up to Farmington to spend the day at Lagoon. Before we went there, I had never been and I had heard mixed reviews about the amusement park. Some liked it, and others didn’t. I don’t believe I am a very harsh critic so in my opinion, it wasn’t bad at all. It had some great roller coasters and some fun carnival like rides and hardly any long lines. I mean, there were plenty of people there, but I think that the longest line we waited in was maybe 10 minutes. Us four ran around the park like little kids feeding off each other’s energy and eating as much sugar as we could get our grubby hands on. By the end of the day, my feet hurt but I was satisfied with the fun we had and the laughs that filled the day. However once again, Utah needed to remind us of how no day could be perfect and it rained again a few different times, but we didn’t let it dampen our time there.















Rain?

So my hope is now that I have filled my fun canteen with enough fun that it’ll help me make it through the weeks until my next wonderful weekend off…

No comments:

Post a Comment