About Me

My photo
North Hollywood, California, United States
I am a fun, sometimes boring person. I am an outgoing, shy kind of girl. I'm pretty easy going when I am not being uptight. All in all, I am a walking, talking, contradiction.
Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Taste of spring!...Even though it's almost summer...

I doubt I'm the only one who has felt that this spring was long overdue. Even in April and May and the beginning of June, I felt like dark clouds and rain and wind where becoming too consistent. I know, I know, April showers bring May flowers so I was excited to see that that was true. Sometime in the middle of May in between two rainy days, Dave was able to take me to the Tulip Festival at Thanksgiving Point. I couldn't believe that I have lived here in beautiful Utah for almost three years now (six months of which I actually lived in Lehi) and I had never gone. I was lucky enough to get the day off work and go see and feel what spring had to offer.

So two things that made the day interesting besides all the colors of the flowers and neat exhibits to explore. First thing: If you have know me even for a short time, you would know that I am a sucker for heels. Borderline obsessed. Okay fine, full blown obsessed. Well anyways, anyone with common sense would figure that a festival consists of a decent amount of walking. Not me. I think,"Oooh I have those cute yellow wedges to go with this yellow top. It's so nice to be able to enjoy a tulip festival on a beautiful day in spring colors!" It was too late when the thought to wear flat shoes fluttered through my mind about 3 or so hours after walking around in my cute yellow wedges. My poor feet screamed in pain and if it weren't for the moleskin bandage treatment Dave's mom helped me out with, I might have lost my feet to a tragic blister accident. Or at least be limping around for a few days.

Second interesting thing: Dave and I were walking (I was attempting to walk) up a hill towards the booths and   food area when we saw a young boy running down some concrete stairs ahead of us. He missed a step and came crashing down face first on the cement. Both Dave and I were pretty close so we ran over to him. A man who was walking next to him helped him sit up and we could see that he had a cut on his forehead and his nose looked broken. If anyone has seen a head or nose injury could guess what the scene looked like. Oh the blood. So much blood...To make the blood look even more red and grotesque, the boy was wearing a white polo. His horrified sister who looked to be about 8 or 9 didn't know what to do other than pat his back as he choked on his screams and his face turned purple. Dave asked the girl where their parents were and all she could do was point over the hill and mumble something about them being there. Despite the lack of description, he took off running in the direction the girl pointed towards. The man who helped the boy sit up had a couple of tissues and was trying to wipe away a little of the blood but wasn't doing much for all that was  pouring out. I decided to make use of myself and go look for something to hold over the cut and his nose. So I ran, yes ran, in my cute yellow wedges through a large crowd of people until I found the first booth which looked like it could have some napkins. I breathlessly told the girl serving snow cones what had happened and she quickly handed me a whole role of paper towels. I then ran back towards the murder crime scene lookalike. By the time I got there, the dad was there with the injured boy trying to comfort him while also getting covered in the red mess. I handed him the paper towels and saved the day. Well maybe not saved the day, but now they had more than a couple soaked up tissues. As Dave and I walked away, I asked him how he had found the father so fast. He told me that he found an entire family dressed in similar white polos and took a wild guess. After it was confirmed that the man had another son running around the place, Dave told him that the boy had taken a spill. The father, in a very experienced dad-like way, raised one eye brow and calmly said, "Oh boy."

We had a laugh over how new parents are so cautious and paranoid with their children and that when they trip even ever so slightly, they fall apart almost as much as their wailing kid. But by the time the child has had a few falls, things like a bloody head and nose can seem pretty routine. Love it.

So here are some pictures from the lovely day. Sorry I didn't take any pictures of the falling incident because I know how much all of you want to see that.



















So glad that Utah is getting green again. Can't wait for the blazing hot summer to come!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad we at least got photo verification that the yellow wedges were, indeed, cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! They're are kind of beat up now...

    ReplyDelete